Job Vacancy / Vaga Servisu
Closing Data: 26 Aug 2012
Casals & Associates, Inc. is an international development firm delivering groundbreaking solutions to social, institutional and political challenges. We work globally addressing democracy and governance, rule of law and justice, local governance, conflict management and recovery, health and other urgent issues facing societies today.
The long term Office of the Prosecutor General Corruption Advisor will provide daily technical assistance and skills transfer to the Prosecutor General, Deputy Prosecutor General and line staff on developing corruption-specific cases for prosecution. Areas of focus include: investigations analysis; evidence gathering; and prosecutorial techniques.
JOB DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Responsible for Advising and mentoring the Prosecutor General, Deputy Prosecutor General and line prosecutors in the following:
- Strengthening the capacity to investigate and prosecute corruption cases.
- Strengthening roles and responsibilities and operational relationships with law enforcement.
- Developing a training program to improve and enhance the investigative skills and prosecutorial techniques of prosecutors – especially as related to economic crimes.
- Building linkages with and supporting other-supported institutions.
- Advising various staff sections on and aiding in development of strategy and policy.
- Training in more sophisticated investigative and prosecutorial techniques (such as trial advocacy, monitoring financial flows, electronic surveillance, and others) as the program evolves.
- Supporting the National Parliament in the development of anti-corruption legislation.
Supporting other program activities where needed.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Expert knowledge and experience with prosecution and criminal investigation within Portuguese language countries.
- FLUENT WRITTEN AND SPOKEN PORTUGUESE and advanced English skills.
- Experience with corruption investigations that extend internationally.
- Experience providing training to audiences of varying expertise.
- Excellent development analysis and communications skills.
- Excellent ability to produce high quality professional products in short time periods.
- Able to represent the Contractor in meetings with senior Mission, Embassy, and Government Officials.
- Excellent inquiry, data collection and analysis skills.
- Excellent reporting, writing and presentation skills.
- Able to interact effectively with all levels of government, officers and field personnel.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Proven ability to negotiate and communicate with both internal and external stakeholders.
- International candidates for the position should have a minimum of 8 years of experience managing or implementing anti-corruption activities with specific experience with prosecution.
- A Juris Doctorate or equivalent and experience as a practicing attorney in the civil law system.
- Experience as a prosecutor and/or defense attorney in a civil law jurisdiction.
- Living and working conditions at the assignment location could be remote and uncomfortable.
- Long hours, exposure to weather and hazardous conditions.
- Personnel should be aware of moving on short notice and under adverse conditions.
How to apply:
Send CV, references, and USAID Biographical Data Sheet (available online at transition.usaid.gov/forms/AID1420-17.doc) to email@example.com